Organization: Pathfinder International
Closing date: 04 Jun 2019
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Director, Financial Management and Operations- Uganda Family Planning
Pathfinder is seeking a Director, Financial Management and Operations for the USAID-funded Family Planning Flagship Activity program in Uganda. The project aims to increase adoption of healthy FP/RH behaviors which will contribute to long term demographic shifts and thus accelerate Uganda’s progress towards its overall development goals. To achieve this, it will focus on improving leadership and coordination, address deeply rooted social and cultural practices, and strengthen provision of comprehensive FP services.
The Director, Financial Management and Operations has primary responsibility for overall financial management and administration of the activity. S/he will be responsible for management of all accounting and sub-grants and ensure financial operations are in compliance with USAID regulations.
* Oversee the project’s management of financial functions ensuring donor/contract compliance.
* Develop and prepare budget forecasts and manage expenses within approved budget.
* Develop and maintain appropriate systems and cost-effective, timely procedures and controls such as cash management, vendor payments, and budgeting to properly disburse, account, budget, and report funds.
* Oversee the timely and accurate preparation and submission of regular financial statements and other cost reports to headquarters and USAID, including providing guidance to project staff and partners.
* Report on financial results and approve monthly/quarterly operating plans and reports.
* Assist the COP in the successful implementation of the project including the timely completion of high-quality, budget forecast and financial statements.
* In collaboration with Human Resources department, identify, select, manage performance of, and mentor finance and administrative staff ensuring professional growth and development as well as capacity building.
* Oversee sub-grantees/sub-contractors ensuring adherence to donor, organizational, and host country policies and build capacity of local organizations to become successful and sustainable quality service providers.
* Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
* Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance team and senior management team; assess any changes necessary.
* Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
* Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to members of senior management team.
* Provide leadership and management during project start-up and close-out with regard to the project office, bank account, operations and logistics, staff administration, telecommunications etc.
* Implement administrative and financial operations of the program, ensuring compliance with agency standards and practices, local laws and donor policy and contract provisions.
* Manage funds at local bank account and approve expenditures in accordance with Pathfinder and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
* Develop management policies and procedures to ensure efficiency, quality, and all resources are in place, adhered to, and in compliance with local laws, donor rules and regulations.
* Contract and manage local individuals/organizations for identified tasks according to donor and agency procedures; negotiate consultancy agreements, provide training and/or develop capacity of local partners.
* Ensure that security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly and adhered to by the project team. Monitor the security situation and provide leadership for staff in emergencies.
* Protect the organization’s resources and assets and ensure efficient usage in accordance with project goals.
* Establish information technology systems and operational facilities to support project staff and programming.
* Assist COP in addressing financial and operational issues related to the project.
* Masters Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field.
* Eight (8) years of experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs.
* Proven expertise in finance, accounting and auditing, including automated financial systems, as well as results-oriented grants management, including financial planning, monitoring of grant compliance and management and establishment of internal controls.
* Proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors.
* Experience managing USAID contracts and overseeing international and local subcontractors and grantees.
* Demonstrated success managing multi-million dollar, donor-funded programs through development of cost-efficient budgeting, management of appropriate spending to support project impact, and regular monitoring of financials for programmatic revisions and accurate, timely reporting.
* Demonstrated ability in analyzing financial documents, projections, expenditures, and accruals.
* Demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team.
* Experience working with complex programs involving short deadlines, multiple tasks, in coordination with multiple partners, to achieve expected results.
* Must have outstanding interpersonal skills and be eager to work in a multicultural organization.
* Fluency in English required.
* Strong computer skills in accounting software systems and Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
* Ability to translate financial concepts and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
* Ability and willingness to travel In-county as well as to the US Headquarters. Travel throughout the project area in Uganda will be required.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
* Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
* Software Applications: Advanced skills with MS Office products including Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook. Advanced knowledge of financial planning software packages.
* Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments based on facts. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
* Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using local language and English language.
* Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to speak across a range of technical issues within individual’s area of expertise.
* Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of assigned program, including program strategies and indicators.
* Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
* Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to present to and influence executive decision-makers using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. Mastery customer service skills.
* Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
* Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
* Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
* Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
* Travel required (Less than 10%)
* Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.
How to apply: