Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) works with children and their families in some of the nation’s most marginalized communities. SCSA is at the forefront of saving children’s lives and creating lasting change for children and their families, reaching over 100,000 children directly and over a million children indirectly annually through child rights, health and nutrition, child protection and education programmes.
JOB TITLE: Human Resource and Administration Assistant.
TEAM/PROGRAMME: ESARO Support Services
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
HR & Administration Assistant is part of the Regional Programming Team and will be the key focal point for all Administrative and HR aspects of the Pretoria Office supporting the Regional programs team and other staff sitting in the Pretoria office. The role will support on the Pretoria Office Management function including HR, Procurement, IT and Administration duties.
The role will be responsible for anticipating support needs and consulting with Support Services Coordinator to ensure efficient and effective HR and Admin support in the office.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Support Services Coordinator in Pretoria with a functional reporting to Regional HR Manager.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Human Resource Management
- Co-ordinate and support recruitment and selection process of staff, in liaison with line manager ensuring that SCI’s recruitment process and good practice is carried out in all recruitment and selection activity.
- Keep updated with relevant new recruitment sources and propose improvements to processes and selection tools to ensure that the recruitment process meets current and future organisational needs.
- Develop and maintain accurate and relevant recruitment statistics.
Follow up and coordinate the induction of National staff with their respective line managers and keep good records of the same
Keep updated the national staff HR manual in line with SCI policy and South Africa laws.
- Keep updated employee records in the physical files and in the database.
Generate monthly reports and submit to the regional office in line with the SCI standards.
- Work with the Nairobi HR office and respective line managers to ensure timely contract renewals.
- Ensure that leave management system is kept up-to-date; generate reports for reconciliation with the Effort Reporting System.
- Take responsibility for the timely preparation of staff payroll and ensure compliance with labour and tax laws in respect of any statutory obligations.
- Support Nairobi HR team to ensure proper management and administration of the performance management system across in the office.
- Provide support in the provision of accurate and appropriate advice to staff on all aspects of HR polices and procedure.
- Ensure that efficient administration coordination for hosted staff from on-boarding to daily administration support.
- Effectively carry out facility and equipment management.
Administer and maintain records, registers and other relevant documents (Registrations, Charities commission, etc.)
- Briefing all staff and visitors on the administrative procedures and systems in place in the organisation.
- Coordinate systematically internal and external office communications
Make logistical arrangements for conferences, meetings, workshops etc.
Ensure that contractual agreements of office premises and guest houses are renewed on time and properly implemented.
- Process documents for payment of administration services – suppliers and utility bills.
- Receive and Issue office stationery and supplies
Support the Support Services Coordinator in follow up on travels, visa applications for staff, visitors and consultants ensuring that all relevant documents have been provided and liaise with the government as required
Update information on travel movement for staff and send updates regularly to the Support Services Coordinator.
- Systematically maintain files of hard and electronic documents related to administration
Together with others, ensure compliance with and promoting all SCI policies such as Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding, Whistle blowing, Fraud, and Health and Safety, Child Safeguarding, Whistle blowing, Child Safeguarding, Fraud, and Health and Safety.
- Administer and maintain records, registers and other relevant documents (Registrations, Charities commission, etc.)
Send out regular guidance and communication on how cell phone and 3G cards must be used to ensure that users manage their bills correctly as well as ensure payment of phone bill is executed on time and proper records kept.
Procurement and Asset Management
- Receive PRs and process with support from Nairobi SC team accordingly to ensure compliance and timeliness.
- Ensure that the goods and services required are accurately described on the purchase order as per requirements and that all the relevant approvals are in place, prior to issuing the purchase order to the vendor.
- Put together procurement packs including completion of checklists, purchase requisitions, quotations, justifications memos and other documentation to ensure that organization’s policies are adhered to, the necessary quality checks and confirmations are done;
- Maintain a file wherein all signed purchase orders and supporting quotations are filed for easy reference and to facilitate future audits;
- Ensure that contractors fulfil all requirements in the scope of work as agreed before payment of fees;
- Regularly verify the existence and condition of assets by performing asset counts during the year.
- Ensure that all assets are tagged and numbered according to the asset register and as per donor requirements;
- Maintain system that tracks the movement of assets between agreed locations and/or use by current staff or visiting delegates from other offices
- Participate in weekly cash counts done with the Support Services Coordinator.
- Review office petty cash and bank payments in line with the Scheme of delegation
- Ensure that expenditure procedures are adhered to, especially around procurement
- Follow up VAT claims, work with tax agents to ensure timely collection
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Creates a managerial environment across the Region to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- displays consistent excellent judgement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in HR, Finance and Administration in a corporate or an NGO environment
- Operational experience in providing generalist HR services to managers in the region and SA countries
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- High level of initiative, ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good skills in Microsoft Office programmes (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to deliver an exceptional level of customer service
- Friendly, professional, well-presented
- Commitment to team-work and a willingness to join in with colleagues to manage the pressures and priorities of the day
- Trustworthy in all aspects of the role
- Valid driver’s license
- Self-driven change-agent and excellent capacity building skills
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment with high levels of change and quick turnaround times, whilst delivering to the highest standards.
- Cultural awareness and the ability to work collaboratively in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
Send your applications to email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, 12 April, 2019