Provides Grants for South African university graduates to pursue a Master’s or Doctoral degree at a United States university in any subject (excludes studies that require contact with patients). Grants are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate (renewable each year). Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure Orientation and re-entry session.
- Be a SA citizen (Non-SA citizens are required to apply in their country of citizenship, even if they are resident in SA)
- Have a four-year bachelors degree, a three-year bachelors degree plus honors year, or a four-year B-Tech degree when applying for Masters
- Have a Master’s degree when applying for a Doctoral degree
- For Non-Degree studies: Must be registered for PhD with a South African university
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR IN OUR APPLICANTS?
- Academic excellence
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable ambassadorial skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture,
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities,
- Evidence of ambition and leadership potential, and
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning.
The Selection Committee and the Interview Panel will also be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preferences. The Fulbright Awards Program expects candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions which are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.