Organization: Population Services International
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 01 May 2019
Job title Senior Malaria Technical Advisor
Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Reports to the Chief of Party
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing technical guidance on vector control implementation and adoption of new vector control strategies under the USAID Vector Control Activity, an anticipated 5-year project in Tanzania. The project will work with the Government of Tanzania to distribute LLIN's in USAID supported Regions in Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar through SNP, RCH distribution, community-based distribution and as needed mass LLIN distribution campaigns.
The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for supporting the COP and DCOP to ensure that project activities are implemented according to international standards and best practices in vector control and LLIN distribution. The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will also be responsible for introducing new vector control approaches to the project activities as appropriate. The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will also be responsible for increasing the technical knowledge of vector control strategies for project staff.
Sound like you? Read on.
Under the supervision of the COP and in line with USAID and PSI policies the Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for:
- Monitoring the publication of new evidence at the global and regional level on vector control approaches
- Develop analytically sound and comprehensive reports on the possible use of new vector control approaches in Tanzania
- Present reports on the potential introduction of new vector control strategies to key stakeholders in Tanzania including NMCP and ZAMEP
- As appropriate guide the piloting or implementation of new vector control strategies through the activity
- Coordinate annual bednet market dynamics reviews
- Mentor project staff in global best practices in vector control strategies
- Ensure that project activities are implemented in line with WHO guidelines and global best practices for vector control
- Continuously build the capacity and knowledge of project staff
- Develop partnerships and relationships with in country key stakeholders
- Support the project team to prepare annual work plans and reports
- Collect, distill, and disseminate the best practices to inform donors and other stakeholders**Qualifications**
What we are looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Relevant bachelor's degree, relevant master's degree preferred
- At least 8 years' experience working on malaria control programs in Tanzania or similar context
- Fluent in English, Swahili a plus
- Demonstrated global malaria technical knowledge with established reputation for excellence in malaria control
- Ability to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff
- Demonstrated knowledge on malaria control and experience in managing a malaria program
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria and vector control policy and context in Tanzania or another similar context
- Experience mentoring others in best practices and the development of vector control strategies
- Excellent writing and presentation ability
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply: