Organization: Nile Basin Initiative
Closing date: 14 Feb 2019
NBI recognized that Modified Cash Basis of Accounting has not kept pace with best practices in the rapidly changing international accounting environment. Thus, NBI Governance during its 48th Nile-TAC and 25th Nile-COM meetings in October, 2017 in Entebbe – Uganda approved adoption of Accrual Basis as well as adoption of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) accounting system. Nile-TAC believed that IPSAS represent international best practices for public sector entities and intergovernmental regional and international organizations and its adoption will improve the control environment in terms of quality, comparability and credibility of the financial reporting of NBI.
The three (3) NBI centres thus agreed to work towards the adoption of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and to prepare the first set of IPSAS-compliant financial statements for NBI for the fiscal year 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020. One of the activities in its preparation plan prior to implementation is technical training for accountants and other associated staff members in order to be able to prepare IPSAS compliant accounts.
To make the application of IPSAS more meaningful and sustainable, a rigorous training scheme is desired to develop the capacity of center accountants and internal auditors. The training which is being designed shall bring together all accountants and internal auditors of the three centers in one place so that good cross learning can be achieved.
The objectives of the training are
• To conduct five-day training in February 2019 that would focus on the financial reporting context for public sector entities and the requirements of Accrual Basis IPSASs, including concepts, definitions, recognition, measurement, policies and disclosures, and their application in intergovernmental, regional organizations, particularly in River Basin Organizations.
• To understand the basis in which financial statements should be presented under the Accrual basis IPSAS including how to apply accrual basis IPSAS principles and concepts in the preparation of public sector financial statements to determine the appropriate treatment of events and transactions in financial statements.
• To understand what needs to be done to move from the current modified cash basis of accounting to accrual basis of accounting under IPSAS.
Scope of work/Expected Output
• Develop tailor-made course materials equivalent to a certificate programme in IPSAS Accrual basis of accounting.
• Deliver training on the basis of the tailor-made materials in Kigali, Rwanda for a period of five days (intensive) to 15 participants most of whom are experienced accountants and internal auditors.
• The course materials should include lot of practical exercises for the participants in order to give those hands on training in critical areas of Accrual basis IPSAS.
Inception Report on Methodology and Draft Work Plan – 2 days on contract signing
Development of comprehensive study materials for the five day training;
Conduct Five Day Training – 24-28th February, 2019 in Kigali, RWANDA
Provide a comprehensive report on the training, lessons learned (through evaluations) and way forward for participants in the practical applications of Accrual Basis IPSAS by 5th March, 2019
Requirements – Qualifications & Experience
Minimum first degree in related field
Minimum professional qualification in accounting (ACCA, CPA, CIPFA, ACA or CIMA) or similar qualifications, with a membership of the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants or an equivalent professional accounting body and a member of recognized Institute in Public Sector accountancy;
The applicant must have at least five years’ experience with an accredited training institution or as an individual delivering training on accounting standards and specifically in accrual basis IPSAS
The applicant must have personally delivered at least three trainings in accrual basis IPSAS in the 5 years in no. 2 above
Must be an accredited trainer to deliver such trainings.
Duration of the Contract:
· Contract period: 19th February 2019 to 5th March 2019.
· Number of working days 12 days: Five (5) working days material preparation, Five (5) working days training delivery, and two days report writing.
· Training Dates is back to back with scheduled Kigali Meetings in February, 2019: 24th to 28th February 2019
· The fees shall be negotiated within the NBI consultancy daily rates.
· Payment schedule will be agreed upon during contract negotiations
· Travel and Daily Subsistence Allowance costs shall be covered by NBI, as per its own policy for travel and payment of DSA.
· NBI shall arrange for the venue of the training and covers all costs in connection with the training (hall rent, power point projector, tea and lunch, and other related costs);
· The consultant shall use his/her own laptop to prepare and deliver the training.
Supervision and reporting
The consultant shall be working closely with the Head of Corporate Services and Nile Basin Initiative secretariat (Nile Sec) and other centre Finance Heads, but will specifically be supervised by the Head of Corporate Services at Nile Sec.
How to apply:
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter Curriculum Vitae and a technical proposal, which should include the following:
· A detailed proposal of how the training shall be conducted and the course content that will be the basis for the development of training materials.
· Cover letter stating how the individual meets the selection criteria in the TOR
· Curriculum Vitae highlighting qualification and level of experience in this type of assignment.
· A financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, calculated based on a daily rate and the number of days indicated above.
The interested consultants should submit their detailed Curriculum Vitae and Technical & Financial Proposals electronically to the Executive Director through email: email@example.com . Applicants must indicate “IPSAS TRAINER” in the subject line of the e-mail. The proposals should be submitted not later than 14th February, 2019. For any clarification questions please email; firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.