Since its founding in 2012, 5 For Change raised significant awareness and nearly R1m in funds for 5 select social enterprise beneficiaries per year through an annual black-tie gala event.
Job Title: Managing Director of 5 For Change
Job Location: Cape Town
5 for Change requires a full time Managing Director starting in February or March 2019 to manage the day to day affairs of the organisation and drive the future growth of the organisation.
5 For Change’s mission is to advance social change in South Africa through the upliftment of 5 innovative and impactful social enterprises annually. We accomplish this through:
- Funds and awareness raised through our flagship annual event: The 5 For Change Black Tie Gala.
- Organizational and leadership development through ‘The 5 For Change Catalyst Program’
- 5 For Change’s vision is to serve as a high-impact accelerator and funder for social enterprises at the forefront of South Africa’s socio-economic
Overview of the role
5 for Change requires a full-time Managing Director (MD) to manage the day to day affairs of the organisation and drive the future growth of the organisation. The role requires a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual with a diverse skill set that can take ownership/stewardship over the organisation and grow its reach and impact over the coming years.
The core aspects of the MD role and associated skill set required can be summarised by the following 5 key responsibilities of the MD:
- Assisting the 5 social enterprises selected each year with capacity and skills development through our one year “catalyst program”
- Managing the execution of the annual black tie event, including amongst others managing the event service providers, raising sponsorship for the annual event and securing auction items and prizes for the annual event
- Fundraising for 5 for Change to assist the organisation in meeting its organisational overheads and growth targets
- Enhancing the brand value of 5FC to ensure the organisation remains relevant and ultimately becomes the go to platform / portal for young people who want to get involved in Philanthropy in SA
- Market and promotes the work of both 5FC and the social enterprises 5FC supports (Detailed description of responsibilities in Annexure 1).
The role offers a great opportunity for an experienced and ambitious person in the sector who would relish the opportunity of driving the growth of an organisation off an established base and brand.
In carrying out the role, individual will consult and report to the board of directors of 5FC (Board) concerning matters relating to the management and organization of 5FC, its financial policies, the terms and conditions applicable to other service providers, and generally any matter arising out of the business affairs of the 5FC. Communication will be via phone calls, email, quarterly Board meetings or ad hoc in person meetings.
Qualification / Personal Specification
- Work Experience
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in non for profit sector, corporate social responsibility, social entrepreneurship, organisational / business consulting role, marketing / media, and / or event management role
- Experience, comfort and aptitude for successfully and respectfully working in a community development setting with underserved populations highly desired.
- Academic Qualifications
- Minimum of undergraduate university degree, graduate degree preferred.
- Core Skill Requirements
- Ability to manage budgets in excess of R400,000 and basic accounting / book keeping knowledge
- PC literacy on MSOffice including Excel skills and basic design insight.
- Ability to present succinctly to diverse internal and external groups
- Experience in fundraising and/or sales
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build inter-organisational relationships
- Strong administrative and organisational skills
- Self-starter and with a proactive “can do” attitude that can work with limited oversight
- High degree of energy and passion for the social enterprise sector
- Able to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Highly desirable but not essential requirements
- Creative and natural acumen for branding, social media and marketing
- Experience in grant funding applications and raising sponsorship funding
- Experience in managing large complex events
The role will be based in Cape Town and the individual will have the flexibility to work from home and / or a shared office space in Cape Town CBD that 5 for Change has access to
In consideration for the Services 5FC will pay a gross salary of R340k – R400k (depending on experience). 5FC will also provide a R500 stipend towards mobile phone and internet costs as well as a R500 stipend towards a health insurance plan of the individuals choice. Individual will be expected to arrange their own medical insurance and other forms of related cover.
5FC will reimburse individual for all reasonable and necessary expenses incurred by MD in connection with performance of the Services on behalf of 5FC including transport.
In addition, individual will receive incentive related remuneration in relation to any grant or similar funding raised for the day-to-day running and operations of 5FC and to fund the growth of the organisation. The amount payable will be determined relative to the amount raised, on a sliding scale as follows:
- 0 – R1m = 10%
- R1m – R2m = 8%
- R2m and above = 5%
5FC shall also pay individual an amount in relation to any financial event sponsorship raised for 5FC events on the following basis:
- 0 – R250,000 = 10%
- R250,000 – R500,000 = 8%
- R500,000 and above = 5%
All interested applications to submit a Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages) and a supporting cover letter (maximum 1 page) by 15 February 2019 via email to Robyn@5forchange.co.za
Annexure 1: Description of core responsibilities
Oversee and co-ordinate the current 5FC team of contractors with a view to preparing for and hosting the annual 5FC 2015
- Liaising with Event Organiser, Publicity and Social Media Manager/s and Creative Head
- Raising sponsorship for the annual event both financial and in kind
- Shortlisting venues, bands, MCs
- Overseeing discussions and negotiations with suppliers
- Monitoring budget and approving expenditure within certain pre-agreed parameters
- Work with finance director to review and revise budgets on an ongoing basis
- Arranging and co-ordinating event auctions and prizes
- Compiling event brochure
- Obtaining all necessary permits and authorisations
Manage interactions with the beneficiaries leading up to and after the event, with the guidance of the directors
- Annually compiling a shortlist of potential beneficiaries for selection by the directors
- Organizes and facilitate beneficiary interviews, training sessions, networking events and other activities conceptualised by the 5FC directors to achieve the goals of 5FC
- Assist selected beneficiaries throughout the year with capacity and skills development through “catalyst program”
- Monitor the funding arrangements with beneficiaries
- Manage fund allocation to beneficiaries and reporting on fund application
Manage existing funding/sponsor relationship and apply for social grants
- Manages the partner relationship with existing and potential funders and sponsor
- Together with input from 5FC directors, apply for social grants on a case-by-case basis
- Facilitate meetings with new potential funding partners / sponsors
Manage overall reporting process
- Together with 5FC directors, prepare and manage reporting around the annual events to beneficiaries, sponsors, and attendees
- Oversee annual audit process (including submission of PBO certificates etc)
- Oversee and manage post-event beneficiary project plans and progress reports as required by 5FC, donors and other partner
Together with directors, conceptualise and plan long-term planning goals of 5FC
- Works together with 5FC directors for future program development, including conceptualisation of national events and ongoing interaction with beneficiaries
- Manage brand communication and message consistency, in conjunction with PR, social media and marketing team
- Prepare and oversee the design and distribution of the annual report.
- Supports the 5FC directors in various administrative task
Application Deadline: 15th Feb, 2019