RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 2,800 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services.
The Accountant is responsible for the day to day accounting function of the Project. Reporting directly to Finance Manager, he/ she is expected to utilize appropriate systems and follow proper accounting procedures to disburse, account for, and report source and usage of funds. This position is responsible to post transactions in QuickBooks.
- Assists Finance Manager in the administration and oversight of program funds in compliance with RTI policies and USAID rules and regulations.
- Process payments to the vendors, staff, payroll taxes and other statutory deductions.
- Record expenses, advances, bank deposits any other accounting transactions in QuickBooks.
- Manage staff cash advance accounts and reconciliation the same. Responsible for collecting and depositing to the bank any cash balances at the end of a trip (where applicable).
- Maintain local audit file, including filing of general ledger journal vouchers, accounts payable documentation, and other miscellaneous financial filings.
- In coordination with Finance Manager and human resources, process monthly payroll to staff.
- Prepare journal vouchers or adjusting entries for necessary reviews and approvals.
- Provide support to the Finance Manager in compiling and submission of the monthly financial reports package.
- Prepare relevant journal vouchers in timely manner to address monthly financial reporting compliance issues raised by the Regional Office/Compliance team.
- Assist with the VAT claims preparations and submissions
- Assist with the yearly internal and external audits preparation
- Conducts other general accounting duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Accounting and at least 3 years of experience (or Masters plus 1 year of experience) in the management of financial systems and budgets, financial reporting, auditing, and/or taxation for a USAID-funded project
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA, CA), or significant progress toward obtainment of designation preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and/or experiences in accounting, financial planning and management, accounting transactions, budgeting, reporting and ensuring compliance of internal control systems
- Ability to file statutory returns (VAT, EMP201, EMP501
- Knowledge of accepted accounting practices and principles
- Proven proficiency with finance software packages (Quickbooks or Pastel accounting)
- Significant experience using Quickbooks highly desirable
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and strong database skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Must be self-motivated innovative and able to work under time tight constraints
- Prior experience on a USAID-funded program will be an added advantage
To apply: Individuals are invited to submit a curriculum vitae (CV) in English with current contact information and details of relevant experience to PretoriaSArecrutiment@rti.org, indicating the position title in the Subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit
Application Deadline: 31st Jan, 2019