EY Jobs in South Africa : Newly qualified CA(SA)
Newly qualified CA(SA)
Core Business Services
Requisition # JOH0022C
The Ernst and Young Finance department in South Africa has established an Ernst & Young Finance Africa Region Finance function, that supports the Africa regional organization by providing standards and policies for reporting, operational support to Finance teams and country leaders across the Africa region, business information to Regional management and Operations Managers and establishing that the reported results for the region reflects accurately what has transpired in the underlying operations.
The department is led by the Chief Finance Officer who reports to the Chief Operating Officer for the Africa region.
An opportunity has arisen for a Project Accountant at Manager level to join the team. The position requires a Chartered Accountant that has broad knowledge on various accounting concepts, IFRS standards, Companies Act, accounting and taxation principles, knowledge of system controls and procedures, knowledge of valuations and discounted cashflows, ability to review financial records and reconciliations (general ledger / creditors. The incumbent must also have a basic understanding of the creditors, debtors, general ledger and payroll functions.
The incumbent must also have the passion, willingness and ability to deal with an extensive number of people at both senior and junior levels that require financial assistance, advice and direction. Exceptional client service is required, whilst simultaneously upholding and maintaining appropriate corporate governance standards and principles. The incumbent must also have the ability to represent the Finance Manager in meetings and conference calls.
The incumbent must also have the willingness and ability to understand systems and the controls and processes that exist within systems in a level of detail and be able to translate system operations in lay man terms to the broader organisation. The incumbent should be able to obtain a detailed understanding / ability to make process/ procedure recommendations and improvements through interactions with the various teams.
The incumbent must in due course have the ability to interact with legal teams, bankers and external auditors and work with minimal supervision.
Title: South Africa Finance Accountant
The position reports to the Finance Manager, who reports to the Finance Director.
There is close interaction with the Operations Director, Operations Managers, the Reporting team, the ASA Operations Team, the South African Finance team, ASA Finance teams and Country leaders in each country.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager and review and provide a second opinion into the various outputs, taxation position papers / computation, legal documents, etc.
- Perform discounted cash flow computations as and when required
- Produce and document flow charts for processes and procedures when required
- Interact with various parts of the business on any finance related matter and have the ability to respond through obtaining the correct information from the central finance team or provide them adequate direction and guidance to the satisfaction of clients
- Maintain an update knowledge of IFRS and have the ability to confirm which internal accounting processes do not comply with IFRS
- Assist in the review of financial reconciliations (creditors /general ledger) and provide feedback to Finance Director and Finance Manager
- Be appointed as a B-Signatory for the firm, releasing payments once you have satisfied yourself that the necessary processes and controls have been adhered to, minimising the risk of misappropriation to the firm.
- Compile presentations as and when required from the Finance Director / Chief Operating Officer
- Lead and manage the Annual Financial Statement process, including finalisation of the audit interacting with the PPG department, external auditors and internal finance teams
- Work closely with the Finance Manager and take on projects as and when requested that will drive understanding of how the Finance function at EY operates
- Obtain a detailed understanding of the processes, systems and procedures within the accounts payable, general ledger, accounts receivable and payroll functions and provide improvement recommendations and suggestions to the Finance Director
- Execute on financial and operational projects as required from time to time meeting relevant quality standards and deadlines
- Review and sign-off of petty cash reconciliations
- Insurance claim process, transfer knowledge to the GDS
- Assisting the proposal/markets team on financial related information used in proposals
- Admin fee invoices raised and monitoring of reasonability of admin fee charge across entities
- Responsible for Statistics reporting requests
- Assist the Finance Director and Finance Manager in establishing best practices, processes, strategies to deliver a world class Finance Organisation
- Assist in the deployment of Project Mercury across South Africa and the rest of the African region.
- Finance Lead for Mercury – attending all meetings and ensuring deliverables for all Finance related activities
- Overall understanding of the Finance Module for Mercury
- Project management of various deliverables that are the responsibility of the Finance Director, as and when required.
- Monitor and feedback reporting compliance of South Africa against EMEIA accounting standards, guidelines and policies (eg accounting for partner compensation, reporting in terms of SSL structures, accounting for CBS staff)
- Highlight any risk or opportunities within the accounting records to the Finance Manager or Finance Director on a timely basis without any supervision and guidance
- Assist in providing information for proposal requirements and request of bank guarantees etc.
- Ensure the timeous and accurate resolution of queries arising from the business, pertaining to the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and General Ledger
- Broaden the knowledge and develop the skill sets within the bookkeeping team
- Train and mentor staff with regards to accounting procedures, processing of data and reconciliation requirements
- Provide finance and co-ordination support for African countries as required by the CFO
- Train and support staff from all countries within the African Region if necessary
- Liaising with Africa finance contacts with regards to requests from the CFO, Global, EMEIA
- Monitor of action list with regards to Africa countries and providing timeous feedback to CFO on progress
- Management of codeblock process and new requests across Africa
- Assist in balance sheet recons review until suitable candidate has been appointed
- Process and review of journals that are submitted by operations teams or that arise from finance reconciliations
- Generate reports on Peoplesoft and Business Objects as and when needed
- Adhere to a year-end timetable / hard close timetable as and when required to facilitate the accurate and timeous close of relevant accounting periods
- Assist in managing the month-end process, projecting where we will end off based on adjustments to be processed.
- Ensure that all data is treated correctly and complies with Company policies and procedures and that accounting transactions are in accordance with accepted accounting practice
- Maintain proper accounting and reporting of assets and liabilities, in terms of EY Global accounting guide and standards
- Provide corporate head office with all required information by designated deadlines and follow up on all queries
- Adhere to all deadlines set by management
- Perform investigative work on specific problems that may arise.
- Build relationships with respective department admin staff
- Provide a dedicated support line to the various business units in terms of the bookkeeping function
- Respect total confidentiality on all financial information
- Assist in the education of client serving individuals and support staff as appropriate on tools, accounting practices and procedures across a broad spectrum in Finance
- Advise other staff on account allocations when necessary
- Assist in investigating and responding to queries from various Global departments regarding results and transactions processed.
- Task orientated and proven ability to produce material on a regular basis, to a consistently high standard.
- Self-starter with the ability to work under minimal supervision and direction
- Work with the countries, Business Units and Finance teams to ensure key objectives and initiatives are reflected in communication plans and activities.
- Drive and deliver the agreed program.
- Write interesting, clear and accurate reports, quickly and confidently.
- Meet strict deadlines and quality standards.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant plus experience in a professional organisation.
- Software – excellent Excel/Word skills, including presentational aspects and pivot tables. Working knowledge of GFIS is advantageous.
- Accounts reconciliation and management reporting experience.
- Detailed knowledge of Caseware
- A strong team player who is comfortable working collaboratively and directionally as required.
- Excellent virtual teaming skills
- Must be able to shift gears from Finance Project Accountant to supporting player, depending on the situation.
- Must be able to balance communication, planning, and execution.
Comfortable working on a number of projects/processes/ tasks concurrently.
- Able to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Able to complete the tasks by pre set or fluid deadlines.
Essential Measurements of Success:
- Output material to agreed deadlines and to quality standards.
- Must be able to function effectively as an integral part of the Operations and Finance, gaining knowledge of EMEIA, Global and their goals and objectives, and lines of business, and effectively applying that knowledge.
- Must operate independently with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, willingness to learn and fit in.
- Quality focused and output oriented.
- Self starter, with initiative to manage with minimal direction.
- Challenging and curious mindset, with a business/commercial outlook.
- Able to interact with senior management and support teams and leaders outside the boundaries of South Africa
- Team player.
- Passionate and professional communicator.
- Eye for detail
- Reliable, ability to deal with confidential information
- Willing to work evenings and weekends when workload demands it.
Required Experience: The successful candidate must be a Chartered Accountant and will have appropriate audit experience. Practical in-depth experience of the business will be an added benefit.
Desirable experience: Experience working within Ernst & Young and experience with countries across the Africa region. Working in a professional service environment. Excellent knowledge of Excel. Working knowledge of GFIS.
Who we are:
At EY we support you in achieving your unique potential both personally and professionally. We give you stretching and rewarding experiences that keep you motivated, working in an atmosphere of integrity and teaming with some of the world’s most successful companies. And while we encourage you to take personal responsibility for your career, we support you in your professional development in every way we can. You enjoy the flexibility to devote time to what matters to you, in your business and personal lives. At EY you can be who you are and express your point of view, energy and enthusiasm, wherever you are in the world. It’s how you make a difference.
Please note: Preference will be given to PDI candidates.
How to Apply
Apply for this Job