forgood : Tech-savvy Programme Director Vacancy in Johannesburg, Dunkeld West, Sandton 2018
|Remuneration:||negotiable Cost to company|
|Benefits:||Flexible culture, champagne|
|Location:||Johannesburg, Dunkeld West, Sandton|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT just click APPLY. We will ignore any submissions that do not follow the instructions in the job spec. Read it carefully, you’ll see what to do!
Forgood connects people to Causes. Think: online dating for the social sector! We’re the largest volunteering platform in South Africa, building a sexy technology platform that solves social problems. We’re also a proudly “for profit” – and believe in making money and creating social change at the same time. Here’s how we make money: https://www.forgood.co.za/forgood-for-business.
We need someone to lead our client team – oversee the interface with large South African corporates as we design, customise and run their Employee Volunteering Programmes on our platform. There’s also the opportunity to run interesting side projects as we experiment with different revenue streams and services. If you can prove yourself…
This is a Senior role with enormous growth potential. But you need to have done elements of this before. If you haven’t been in a client management role for 7-10 years, it’s unlikely to be a match.
Go watch this. If it lights a fire in you, read on – https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong
NOTE: Transformation is critical in SA – this is an Employment Equity position.
YOU MUST WANT: To work in a tech start-up environment. We have a flexible culture – but we’re also obsessed with delivery and getting shit done. You must WANT to deal with clients and be tolerant of a certain level of corporate bureaucracy (haha!). Don’t tell us you’re a “people person”. People’s people never actually say they’re people’s people. They just are.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO: Learn quickly, work fast, think big, prove yourself, leave ego at the door. Your attention to detail must be impeccable. You need street smarts. You’re going to be dealing with clever clients and team members, building clever stuff – these peoples don’t suffer fools.
YOU MUST: Commit. We’re not going to sink blood, sweat, tears, time and champagne (our celebration method of choice currently) into someone who’s going to ditch when things get hard. You’re in this for 2 years+ or you’re not in it at all.
THE ROLE: Manage a high performing client service team and provide strategic insight into forgood’s client management:
- Nurture your team and find new talent as we grow
- Maintain the highest level of quality and delivery across all client-facing functions.
- Lead the development and execution of client strategy
- Drive client engagement and employee usage of our product
- Create innovative ways to drive employee volunteering engagement in our product
- Oversee costing, quotes, cashflow and budgets for clients
- Identify, contact and woo new clients
We connect people to Causes. Forgood is the largest volunteering platform in South Africa and runs 13 corporate employee volunteering programmes using our innovative tech. We’re building the biggest social impact platform in the developing world.
Qualifications and experience required
- A tertiary qualification. If you don’t have a degree, tell to us why you don’t need it
- Seven to 10 years’ experience. Client facing/client management/account management experience. Don’t cheat on this one – the ability to schmooze and deliver excellent client-facing work takes practice.
- Comfortable in a tech environment. We’re serious about this. You need to love the Internet, be fluent in online platforms and understand your URL from your Excel (actually, you need to understand a lot more than that – but you get the point!)
- Strong writing, editing, creative and communications skills
- Marketing and ‘selling’ skills. You’re selling us by supporting our clients.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW.
There is a plague in South Africa of people just clicking apply on every job that’s out there. You spam us. We get sad. Mostly, it doesn’t work with us because it doesn’t show that you CARE. It doesn’t tell us that you REALLY WANT THIS ROLE. And we only want to hear from people who REALLY WANT THIS ROLE. Did we use enough caps for that?
- Go find out who we are. Google stalk us. Go deep. Think about whether you really want to work here. Then answer this: why do you want to work here?
- What excites you about the social sector in South Africa?
- What is your most difficult client experience to date? What did you learn?
- When last did you delight a client? Tell us about it
- Give us a life example of when you stuck something out and should have left earlier OR when you didn’t stick something out and wish you’d stayed
- Tell us one thing you’ve done in your life that should make us interested in you
When you send this info – send it with the same level of quality you’d use when engaging with our clients and their employees. If you can’t spell when applying to us, you can’t spell when looking after our clients.
We’ll ONLY ask for CV’s from the best submissions.
Salary: Market related and negotiable on experience. You deliver, you contribute to revenue, you keep growing, you take some risk with us – you can earn whatever you want.